Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This classic French salad combines crunchy, aniseed-flavoured celeriac with a rich mayonnaise dressing.
- 1 lb celeriac
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup thick mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons coarse grain mustard
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of, grated
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
- Peel the celeriac, then slice it as thinly as possible (using a mandolin if you have one).
- Stack the slices 3 or 4 at a time on top of each other and cut into long, thin julienne strips or matchsticks.
- Place celeriac in a bowl and mix in the sliced onion. If you prefer a milder flavour, first soak the onion in a bowl of cold water for 1 hour.
- Whisk the mayonnaise with the mustard, lemon zest and juice, Worcestershire sauce and seasoning.
- Combine with the celeriac and onion. If you find the sauce a little too thick, thin it with 1-2 tbsp milk.
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Stir in the parsley and serve.
All this needed was a little hit of hot sauce and I was back in Galatoire's (New Orleans). Absolutely delicious!