Recipe by crispychick
for the first time, i saw celeriac for sale at my grocery store and bought it because i had kept hearing about it. i'm a celery lover, and am so glad to have discovered this new, interesting vegetable. we thought this turned out pretty good; i think it would be wonderful with cheese or even cream, but i was trying to be healthy that night.
- 1 celery root, sliced thin
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced thin
- 2 -3 small potatoes, sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup fresh coarse breadcrumbs
- 2 -3 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix melted butter and breadcrumbs and set aside. In the bottom of an 8x11 inch casserole dish, make one layer of potatoes. Salt and pepper. Next, layer celeriac. Salt and pepper. Sprinkle the garlic, onion, and fennel for next layer. Pour enough chicken broth to get about half way up the sides, and top with whole can of diced tomatoes. Salt and pepper. Loosely top with some tin foil and poke some holes in it so that some of the stock will evaporate and put in a 350-375 degree oven for about 45 minutes or until everything is cooked through. Remove foil and top with the breadcrumbs and continue to cook until golden brown.