Recipe by merron-iru kami
A very tasty twist on classic patatoes au gratin. Comfort food at it's finest!
- 1⁄2 lb celeriac, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 lb sweet potato, scrubbed and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons tarragon
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Coat an oven safe casseraole dish with non-stick spray.
- Arrange a layer of sweet potatoes, slightly overlapping. Sprinkle about a TB of flour on the potatoes, followed by salt and pepper, tarragon, 1 tb of butter (cut into small pieces)and 1 TB of cheddar.
- Repeat this process with the onions and celeriac, topping each layer with flour, butter, seasonings and cheese.
- Complete the gratin with a layer of sweet potatoes. Pour the cup of cream over the top of the casserole (slowly so it doesn't overflow). When it has sunk into the layers, season the top of the casserole, cover with tinfoil and bake until the vegetables are tender (about 45 minutes).
- Cover the gratin with the remaining cheddar cheese and return to the oven uncovered for an additonal 5 - 10 minutes so the cheese can melt.