Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
An elegant pumpkin cake made with spice cake mix. Frosted with cream cheese frosting and topped with caramel ice cream topping. A surefire way to impress you family and guests.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package spice cake mix
- 1 (15 ounce) can canned solid-pack pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1.5 (16 ounce) containers cream cheese frosting
- 1⁄2 cup caramel ice cream topping
- pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease and flour three 9-inch round cake pans.
- Combine cake mix, pumpkin, eggs and butter in a large bowl; beat with electric mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes. Divide batter evenly among prepared pans.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool cakes for 5 minutes on wire racks. Remove to racks; cool completely.
- Place on cake layer on serving plate; cover with frosting. Place second layer on top of first; cover with frosting. Top with remaining cake layer; frost top and side of cake. Spread caramel over top of cake, letting some caramel drip down side. Garnish with pecan halves.
This was one of two desserts I took to a local college art show for their food buffet, & it was one of the first to be totally devoured! I followed your easy recipe but did use a very thick homemade caramel sauce & toasted the pecans before topping the cake! Can't wait to make this again in lieu of the usual pumpkin pie! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for my groupmate in the Aus/NZ 12 Days of Christmas Recipe Swap]