Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Can make the base a day or two ahead of time.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 (750 ml) bottledry sparkling wine, chilled
- In a small saucepan, combine ¾ cup sugar, water, and mint; bring to a boil over medium heat, stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Remove from heat and let set for 15-20 minutes, letting the mint infuse the sugar syrup.
- Strain syrup through a fine-mesh strainer and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, process the strawberries and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar until smooth.
- In a 1 ½ quart container, combine strawberry puree and lemon juice; add in mint syrup; stir; chill until very cold.
- When ready to serve, divide the strawberry-lemon base equally among 8-10 champagne flutes; top with sparkling wine and serve.