This spiced and hot rum buttered cider toddy is a wonderful drink throughout the cold winter months, and is perfect during the Festive Holiday Season as well. I use Scrumpy or local French Breton cloudy cider for this, which I believe is called Hard Cider in North America. Serve the hot rum buttered cider toddy in attractive warmed glasses and float a cinnamon stick on the top for that extra touch!
- Stud the orange with the cloves.
- Gently melt the butter in a large saucepan before adding the cider; continue to heat the cider and butter for about 5 minutes, then add the clove-studded orange and the cinnamon sticks; heat gently for a further 5 minutes - do NOT allow it to come to the boil.
- Add the rum and heat for a further minute or two, again do not allow the toddy to come to the boil.
- Serve in warmed punch glasses or mugs, add a cinnamon stick to each glass if you wish.
- You can add more cider, rum and butter to the pan with the spiced fruit, throughout the evening.