Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
Here's another recipe from a recent novel that sounded delicious!
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup Bourbon
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 6 ounces chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄3 cup Bourbon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 13" pan.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- Melt the butter and add to the flour mixture along with the brown sugar.
- Add the eggs, whiskey and water, mixing well.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with chips and nuts.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until center is firm.
- Cool 15 minutes then drizzle with glaze.
- To make the glace, melt 1/4 cup butter in a medium saucepan.
- Whisk in 2 cups confectioner's sugar, 1/3 cup whiskey and vanilla.
- Blend well.
- Pour over cake.
OHHH MY! Helloooo Whiskey! Although this recipe has not only the smell & taste of strong whiskey, but the aftertaste sticks around a while. It was strong, but not TOO strong (& I'm not a whiskey drinker) so I sent a whole bunch of cake to my husband's work this morning. lol The cake is deliciously moist with a slightly sweetened bourbon taste. I really do think it's worthy of the title, Clebration Cake, as there was a taste explosion in every bite. My absolute favorite part was the glaze. When I poured it over the cake I was afraid the cake was literally going to drown in it. It was so thin & just made a pool of glaze over the entire surface. I left it alone & within minutes the glaze had soaked down the edges of the cake & all across the top, creating an extremely thin layer of crunchy sweetness that made even the edges of the cake delicious. For the chocolate chips on top I used about 1/2 & 1/2 semi-sweet & milk chocolate Ghiridelli. This was a fabulous recipe & I'm so glad I made a trip to the liquer store for it! Thanks for sharing, BakerNurse! Made, enjoyed & reviewed for Fall 2008 Pick A Chef.