Top Review by anme
This recipe makes a whole lot of soup so I scaled it down to about 3 or so but it still could feed more than that. I used skim milk thickend with some cornstarch to attempt to replace the heavy cream. Surprisingly the skim milk worked just fine in this recipe once I added some cornstarch to it. I feel this is an excellent base to make a more hearty soup with different types of seafood.
- 1 lb butter
- 1 bunch celery, medium dice
- 1 large yellow onion, medium dice
- 2 cups flour
- 6 bay leaves
- 4 ounces lobster base
- 1⁄2 cup paprika
- 2 quarts water
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 1 cup Bourbon or 1 cup sherry wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter, add celery and onion, saute.
- Add flour, mix into a roux.
- Cook for two (2) minutes, constantly stirring.
- Add bay leaves, lobster base, paprika, and water.
- Whisk until smooth and mixture starts to thicken.
- Add heavy cream and bourbon (or sherry).
- Reheat to serving temperature.
- Season to taste.