Cooking fish on wooden planks is a native tradition. Use untreated cedar that you can buy at the local lumberyard or hardware store. You can usually use them a few times if they are not too badly charred.
- Soak plank in a tub of cold water for at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours.
- Score top side of salmon in about 2"/5cm diagonal strips but do not cut through the skin.
- Rub olive oil into salmon.
- In a small bowl combine sugar, paprika, salt, black pepper and cumin.
- Rub into slits.
- Allow salmon to marinate 10 to 20 minutes.
- Place salmon on soaked plank.
- Place the whole thing, plank and salmon, on the rack of a barbecue.
- Close the lid or cover fish with an inverted metal baking dish and barbecue 20 to 25 minutes or until salmon is cooked through.
- Remove cover for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Do not turn fish during cooking. This can be brought to the table on the plank decorated with fresh herbs or the salmon can be transferred with a wide lifter to a serving platter or a clean plank.
- Bonnie Stern.