1 hr 30 mins
I love smoked salmon but usually don't like it any other way. I decided to experiment after trying this method at a friend's house. This marinade and cooking technique gave the salmon a great taste which my family and I all loved. Good flavor and a bit of smoked salmon taste. The basic marinade recipe came with the cedar plank but I've added some ingredients that have made it even better. The cedar isn't anything special a cedar board cut to fit on your grill will do. Do not use treated wood for cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -2 salmon fillet
- 1 cedar plank, 10 x8 large enough for the salmon to cook on with out hanging over the sides. 3/4-inch to 1-inch thi
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Chardonnay wine (or other white wine)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (Splenda Brown Sugar can also be used for low carb.)
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice or 1 teaspoon juice of fresh lemon, juice of
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small cubes
- 1Clean and de-bone salmon. Pull pin bones with a pair of pliers.
- 2Soak Cedar plank in water for at least 1 hour weighting it down to fully submerge.
- 3Mix together all the marinade ingredients (except the butter) and pour into a sealing bag with the salmon. Allow to marinate in the refrigerator at least 1 hour.
- 4Pre-heat grill on high (350-400 F) Place soaked cedar plank on the grill close the lid and wait 3-5 minutes or until the plank starts to smoke.
- 5Place salmon on the plank, skin side down. (If skin is removed, rub olive oil on plank and lay fish directly on the plank.)
- 6Put the pads of butter all over the salmon.
- 7Reduce the heat of the grill. Try to keep the plank smoking without actually catching fire. When flames appear, spray them with a water bottle.
- 8Close the lid and check periodically to make sure the plank does not ignite.
- 9Cook the salmon for 8-10 minutes per inch thickness of the fillet.
- 10*This timing is a guideline and may need to cook longer depending on amount of fish being cooked and personal preference.
- 11When salmon is done move to a serving platter and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cedar Plank Salmon
Serving Size: 1 (125 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 293.6
- Calories from Fat 189
- Total Fat 21.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 71.8 mg
- Sodium 390.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 16.5 g