Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
My MIL makes the best mashed potatoes and I got this recipe from her.
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half or 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Add broth and potatoes to a large pot; bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium; cook for 10 minutes or so, until the potatoes are tender.
- Drain, saving the broth.
- Mash the potatoes and add 1/4 cup broth, half-and-half, butter and pepper.
- Add more broth if needed until you get the desired consistency.
- Note: After I mash the potatoes, I use the electric mixer to get them smooth.
I tried this out for our Thanksgiving! Like others I do not make the best mashed potatoes & figured I better get some help! I loved the broth idea to cook the potatoes in. I used fat free half & half & a lower fat, lower sodium chicken broth. They turned out great & I used a mixer to whip them nice & smooth. They were even better without gravy; thanks so much for sharing!
These mashed potatoes are so yummy. And have a great texture. The taste is great with the chicken broth, cream and butter. Thanks ratherbeswimmin :) Made for All you can cook buffet
These definitely are creamy! Cooking with chicken broth adds so much flavor. I used white pepper.