Prep 29 mins
Cook 0 mins
No relation to Jimmy Dean. Chef’s Incredible Tip: After you thoroughly wash and rinse the sausage casings, soak them in pineapple juice for 24-36 hours (in the fridge) and then rinse them again prior to stuffing them. This process softens the casings and makes them much more tender and palatable!
- 24 ounces lean pork
- 8 ounces pork fat, without gristle
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 ounce white breadcrumb
- 1 tablespoon instant minced onion
- ground nutmeg
- ground cloves
- cayenne pepper
- Mince the pork and pork fat twice, and then mix very well and season.
- (Fry a teaspoon or so each time to check the flavour until you get it the way you like it.) Add the herbs and breadcrumbs and any spices used.
- Fill sausage casings with the mixture or shape into patties.
- I often make bigger batches and freeze them.