Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Pasta and beans--yummy and good for you.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 carrot, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes with juice
- 1 (17 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 16 ounces medium pasta shells or 16 ounces elbow macaroni
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Add the oil, onion, garlic, and carrot to a large skillet; cook over low heat; stir/saute for about 10 minutes or until the onion is tender (do not brown).
- Add in the tomatoes and garbanzo beans; simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente; ladle out 1 cup of the cooking water and set aside.
- Drain the pasta and immediately add to the skillet.
- Stir to blend; add in the reserved cooking water as needed for extra moistness (the mixture should be very juicy).
- Season to taste with salt.
- Ladle into soup bowls; sprinkle with parsley and cheese.