Recipe by Kozmic Blues
Sometimes I find inspiration in the oddest places... ^_^ This recipe was one that I saw (and veganized) from Rachel Ray's 'Week in a Day'. The flavor of this pasta was DELICIOUS, I am so glad I decided to try it. This recipe was easily veganized by using vegetable broth, and replacing the grated cheese with my recipe for vegan parmesan (My Vegan Parmesan)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, finely chopped (Fresno or Holland)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves picked and finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (28 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (garbanzo beans)
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can san marzano tomatoes, whole
- 1 lb whole wheat penne
- vegan parmesan cheese, for serving (My Vegan Parmesan)
- flat leaf parsley, finely chopped, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil in a large skillet, add the onions, garlic, Fresno chile, rosemary, bay leaf, salt, and pepper and cook to soften, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add about 2/3 of the chickpeas to a food processor, then quick-pulse into fine bits.
- Add the finely chopped chickpeas and remaining whole chickpeas to the pan and heat through.
- Stir in the stock and tomatoes. Break up the whole tomatoes and simmer the sauce to thicken a little.
- Bring water to boil for pasta, salt the water and cook to al dente.
- Reserve a cup of starchy pasta water just before draining, just in case.
- Drain the pasta and place back in the hot pot and toss with the sauce and as much starchy water as you need to combine. When I made this, I did NOT need to add any extra pasta water to make the sauce because it was fine as is.
- Sprinkle pasta with fresh parsley, and top with some vegan parmesan (recipe #413778). ENJOY!