Here is a simple appetizer that is popular and easy to make and will appeal to even those who are not ceviche aficionados. Ceviche of many types are popular in Peru. This can also be served as a light lunch, served on crusty French or Italian rolls. Adapted from Spirit of the Earth(Cultural Expeditions).
- 1 (6 ounce) can solid white tuna packed in water
- 1 fresh jalapeno chile, seeded and minced (more or less to taste)
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 ripe tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- fleshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice (1-2 limes)
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- fresh cilantro stem, for garnish
- Drain the tuna invert it onto a small platter.
- Sprinkle the chile and onion over the tuna and allow it to stand for a few minutes. Then add the tomato, chopped cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste, and gently mix together.
- Sprinkle the lime juice over all, and drizzle with the oil. Serve over lettuce if you like.
- Garnish with sprigs of cilantro and serve. Enjoy!