Prep 25 mins
Cook 18 mins
Just perfect for something out of the ordinary but still familiar. The capers replace the croutons for a more contemporary version. Serve as a side salad or make it more of a meal by topping with some cooked chicken strips & crusty bread and you've got yourself a divine meal! From the Chicago Tribune Good Eating Section, May 19, 2010
- Heat oven to 400°.
- Place the capers and 1 teaspoon oil in a small heavy roasting pan.
- Roast turning a few times, until crispy, about 18-20 minutes. *WATCH carefully towards the end. Remove from the pan, cool and reserve.
- Meanwhile, immerse the egg in a small saucepan of boiling water. Remove the pan from the heat; allow to sit for 10 minutes. Remove the egg from the water; allow to cool about 10 minutes.
- Mince the garlic in a food processor. Add the lemon juice, anchovy paste, pepper; process to combine.
- Spoon in the egg; pulse until combined. Add 1/2 C oil until emulsified. Pulse in 1/4 C cheese. Taste for seasoning.
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce and capers with the dressing & toss to combine. Add the remaining 1/4 C cheese; toss.
Topped this with some rosemary, garlic, lemon grilled salmon and it was really good. I felt like it needed something crunchy to complement the other textures and it was slightly to lemony but the flavor was surprisingly good. I have to admit, I was skeptical of the anchovy paste, but my husband loved it and the six serving salad was gone in one meal for two!