Recipe by CCinSC
Put this together in the morning so can have a wonderfully different side dish that evening. Delicious companion with any beef, particularly steaks or roasts.
Top Review by Miss Fannie
Absolutely sinful...I plan to keep this recipe the same as it is for company. The next time I make it for my family, I want to lighten it up by using less butter and cheese and substituting evaporated milk for the cream.
- 3 medium sweet onions
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 (8 ounce) cupsshredded swiss cheese, divided
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut onion in half from top to bottom, then with cut side down, slice moderately thinly.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook onions and mushrooms, stirring constantly until tender.
- Spoon onion/mushroom mixture into lightly greased 2 quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese.
- Combine soup, milk and worcestershire sauce and pour over cheese.
- Top with bread slices and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 8 hours.
- Remove baking dish from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Bake covered at 375º for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 15 to 20 additional minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.