Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
The recipe was a hotchpoych of the old style trifle. My family did not like the cake in the jelly and found that mandarin slices worked very well. I then decided to add the layers of banana slices. Lastly I use as much ingredients that are low joule or low fat as i can in such a recipe. My husband says it is better than his mother's trifle, and his mother is known for hers.
- 2 (3 ounce) packages low joule gelatin (any flavour)
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin orange pieces
- 2⁄3 cup custard powder
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 (8 ounce) container low-fat whipping cream
- 3 bananas
- 1 flaked chocolate bar
- Make up the jelly,pour into a large dessert serving bowl.
- Drain mandarin slices and put them in the cooled jelly.
- In a saucepan, blend custard powder and sugar.
- Mix with a little of the milk to make lump free.
- Add remainder of the milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook on stove top on medium until boiling and thickened stirring constantly so no lumps form.
- Remove from heat add egg yolks and vanilla essence.
- (You can add the vanilla essence to the egg yolks before) allow to cool, fold in the egg whites.
- ------------MAKING UP THE TRIFLE------------.
- When jelly is set, slice 1 or 2 of the bananas and place a layer of sliced banana on top of the set jelly mixture.
- Pour on the custard mixture, then another layer of banana slices.
- Cover the lot in the thickened whipped cream.
- Finally crumble the flake and sprinkle onto the cream.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- You can modify this trifle by decorating it with fruit or other brands of sweet confectionery.