Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Nice and light (even with the cream). A good starter or a light dinner. You have to prepare this all at the last minute, so chop the veggies prior to cooking.
- 1 large carrot
- 1 zucchini
- 1 cup spinach, shredded in strips
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 lb scallops (or just over)
- 6 ounces butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 saffron threads
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup fish stock
- 1⁄3 cup cream
- Cut carrot and zuchini into thin strips/matchsticks. Add carrot to a pan of boiling water, and simmer until tender. Add the zuchini and simmer for 1 minute, add spinach and drain immediately.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add scallops in batches and cook about 3 minutes or until tender.
- Saffron Sauce:.
- Heat 1 oz of the butter in a frying pan, add the onion, garlic, cayenne and saffron, and cook until the onion is soft.
- Add the wine and stock and simmer until reduced by half.
- Add the cream and stir.
- Add the remaining butter, a few bits at a time, stirring, until well combined.
- Arrange the veggies on 4 plates and top with scallops. Pour the sauce over each plate.