Recipe by Reed
My family loves these more than Cheez-its. I like to make them as snacks. Make sure you refrigerate them overnight, or the crisp just won't be there. Extra sharp cheddar is a must! Silpat mats come in handy for these.
- 1⁄2 lb grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup butter, creamed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon kosher salt (to sprinkle on tops)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 350.
- Cream all ingredients together except for the flour and kosher salt.
- Add flour gradually and mix throuroughly.
- Pack dough tightly into ball.
- Divide ball into 3 equal parts.
- Roll each into log shape 1 1/4 inches in diameter.
- Wrap each log in waxed paper.
- Refridgerate overnight (at least 8 hours).
- Slice logs into very thin wafers. (The thinner, the crispier).
- Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet approximately 12 minutes (until golden).