Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
The addition of cheddar cheese and buttermilk makes these very moist! You will need cast-iron corn stick molds for this, but can also be baked in a cast-iron skillet, adjust the cayenne to taste.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 14 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter, cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups old cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 425°F.
- Brush the molds with oil and place into the oven while preparing the batter.
- Meanwhile in a bowl mix together the first 7 dry ingredients.
- In another bowl whisk 1-1/4 cups buttermilk, melted butter, egg and jalapeno pepper (if using) add to the dry ingredients; mix to combine.
- Add in grated cheddar cheese (adding in more buttermilk to thin to a pourable consistency).
- Carefully remove the hot mold from the oven and immediately divide the mixture between each mold.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until the corn sticks test done.
- Cool in the molds for 10 minutes, then using a small sharp knife gently lift the corn sticks from molds.