Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A nice twist to an old favorite. Wonderful combination of flavors. Posted for Zaar World Tour 05
- 1 lb tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs onions
- 1 lb cooking apple
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cream (optional)
- salt and pepper
- chives (to garnish)
- Score a small x with a knife on the bottom of each tomato.
- Place the tomatoes in boiling water for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove to cold water; the skins will peel off easily.
- Cut up the tomatoes.
- Peel and dice the onions and apples.
- Place the tomatoes, onions and apples with the stock in a saucepan.
- Season to taste.
- Note: If you wish to make this a cream soup, add the cream now.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Puree the mixture and then strain to remove the tomato pips.
- The soup should be completely smooth.
- Serve hot garnished with chives or chilled.
Fabulous soup! I changed a few small things: Added only 1 lb onion, 1 cup chicken broth and one cup water, 2 cups fat free half and half. I seasoned with 1 tsp salt and 2 tsp ground ginger. It was marvelous. Wouldn't have thought to combine apples and tomato soup. . .Thanks for sharing!!