Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a traditional Welsh soup that is often eaten on St. David's Day as that the leek is the symbol of St. David but it is good any time of year.
- 1 lb potato
- 1 lb leek (white and some tender green parts)
- 7 -8 cups chicken stock (if you are vegetarian, you could use vegetable broth, but chicken does taste better) or 7 -8 cups chicken broth (if you are vegetarian, you could use vegetable broth, but chicken does taste better)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- chopped parsley (to garnish)
- Peel and dice the potatoes and slice the leeks thinly.
- Simmer the potatoes and leeks together with the chicken stock, salt, and pepper and cook for 40 to 50 minutes until potatoes and leeks soft.
- Mash the vegetables or puree them in a food processor.
- Check the seasonings and reheat, adding the cream, be careful not to boil at this stage.
- Garnish with parsley.