Recipe by Dreamgoddess
I found this recipe several years ago in Southern Living magazine and it is wonderful! My Mom really loves this so I always have to make it for her on special occasions. This really makes a HUGE amount...but the ingredients could easily be cut in half. Better yet, one dish could be frozen for later use. Enjoy!
Top Review by wmobymac
Everyone I make this for wants the recipe. It does make a large amount, but it freezes well. I think anyone could make this and impress their guests. Put it together ahead of time and just put it in the oven an hour before you serve it.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb mild pork sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package pepperoni slices, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (26 1/2 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) jar mild salsa
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 10 ounces pepperoncini peppers, drained and sliced
- 16 ounces shell pasta, cooked
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the beef, sausage, onion and green pepper until brown.
- Drain and set aside.
- Mix the pepperoni, tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, salsa, mushrooms and salad peppers.
- Stir into the meat mixture.
- Add the cooked pasta shells.
- Spoon 1/2 of the mixture into 2 greased 11x7 inch baking dishes.
- Combine the two cheeses and divide the amount in half.
- Take one half of the cheese and sprinkle on top of the meat in each dish.
- Take the remaining 1/2 of the meat mixture and cover the cheese in the two dishes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Top each dish with the remaining 1/2 of the cheese.
- Bake 5 more minutes or until cheese is bubbly.