I found this recipe several years ago in Southern Living magazine and it is wonderful! My Mom really loves this so I always have to make it for her on special occasions. This really makes a HUGE amount...but the ingredients could easily be cut in half. Better yet, one dish could be frozen for later use. Enjoy!
My Private Note
11x7 in ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb mild pork sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package pepperoni slices, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (26 1/2 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) jar mild salsa
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 10 ounces pepperoncini peppers, drained and sliced
- 16 ounces shell pasta, cooked
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1Cook the beef, sausage, onion and green pepper until brown.
- 2Drain and set aside.
- 3Mix the pepperoni, tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, salsa, mushrooms and salad peppers.
- 4Stir into the meat mixture.
- 5Add the cooked pasta shells.
- 6Spoon 1/2 of the mixture into 2 greased 11x7 inch baking dishes.
- 7Combine the two cheeses and divide the amount in half.
- 8Take one half of the cheese and sprinkle on top of the meat in each dish.
- 9Take the remaining 1/2 of the meat mixture and cover the cheese in the two dishes.
- 10Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- 11Top each dish with the remaining 1/2 of the cheese.
- 12Bake 5 more minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
Nutritional Facts for Cavatini
Serving Size: 1 (4246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3669.4
- Calories from Fat 1734
- Total Fat 192.6 g
- Saturated Fat 81.4 g
- Cholesterol 596.4 mg
- Sodium 10441.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 279.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.5 g
- Sugars 72.8 g
- Protein 203.2 g