This recipe is from the April 2005 issue of the All You magazine. Quick and easy, looks very yummy in photo.
- 8 ounces cavatelli or 8 ounces other shell pasta
- 1 head broccoli, large 1 1/2 pounds
- 8 ounces sausage meat, ground and mild
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, to taste (optional)
- 1 cup cheese, grated (optional)
- Fill large pot or Dutch Oven half way full of water and add salt if desired. When water is boiling add pasta, stir often, and cook to al dente. Set aside one cup of pasta cooking water before draining. Do not rinse pasta.
- Wash and dry broccoli, trim and peel stems, cut into florets.
- Over medium heat in large skillet, brown and mash ground sausage into bite size pieces. Transfer sausage to a large serving bowl and add broccoli, oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes to pan. Cook for approximately 3 minutes or until garlic is golden brown. Add chicken broth and cook another 3 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Add mixture to sausage that was set aside. Add reserved pasta cooking water as needed to add moisture. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add grated cheese if desired.
Came together really easy and the flavor was not overpowered by any one thing, but blended together really well. Loved it topped with the cheese, I used Cheddar. Oh and also added a wee bit more garlic! Thanks for a great recipe and congrats on winning the football pool!
Very nice simple dish. I made it as directed and used monterey jack cheese and we really enjoyed it. Thanks Lori.
This recipe was so easy and tasty! My husband LOVED it an he can be pretty picky! This is going straight into my household favorites cookbook! Thanks for a great recipe!