Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Food & Wine.
- 1⁄4 lb sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb frozen cavatelli
- 1 1⁄4 cups arugula, stems removed, leaves torn in half
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a large stainless-steel frying pan, cook the bacon over moderate heat until almost crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the pan.
- Reduce the heat to moderately low. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice, the salt, and the pepper and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the cavatelli until just done, about 10 minutes. Drain and toss with the sauce, bacon, arugula, and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan. Stir until the arugula just wilts. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan over the top.