There is a place in town that serves this pasta and I love it. I haven't made this recipe yet but I've been searching for one. i want to put it in my cookbook before I lose it. I found this recipe in The Sopranos Family Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Stir together the two flours and 1 tsp of salt in a bowl. Gradually add enough water to form a stiff dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough until it is smooth, about 2 minutes. Shape the dough into a ball and cover it with a bowl. Let rest for 30 minutes.
- 2Lightly dust 2-3 large cookie sheets with flour.
- 3Cut the dough into 8 pieces. Work with one piece at a time, keep the remainder covered.
- 4On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 1/2 inch thick rope. Cut the rope into 1/2 inch pieces.
- 5Using a small knife with a dull blade and rounded tip, press your index finger against the side of the blade and flatten each piece of dough, pressing and dragging slightly so that the dough curls around the tip of the knife to form a shell shape.
- 6Spread the cavatelli on a prepared cooke sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 7If you are not using the pasta within an hour, place the pans in the freezer. When the pieces are firm, scoop them into a freezer safe plastic bag. freeze until ready to use. Do not thaw before cooking, put them straight into boiling water.
- 8To cook the cavatelli bring at least 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Add the cavatelli and salt to taste. Cook stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender yet still slightly chewy.
- 9Meanwhile heat your favorite Sunday Gravy or Marinara sauce.
- 10Drain the cavatelli, add the sauce and serve immediately. Top with grated Parmesan.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cavatelli (Gavadeel'/ Pasta Shells)
Serving Size: 1 (87 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.2
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 389.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 9.2 g