Recipe by Manami
For a milder flavor, substitute white Cheddar for the Gruyère and Monterey Jack for Gouda. Cottage Living 9/2006. Have tweaked it with 2% milk and it turned out fine, it was all we had.Update: 06/26/2009 - leave out the salt because the cheeses and prosciutto have enough salt. The hot sauce makes the dish, even when you don't like it - it makes it special.")
Top Review by elisekirk
This is "to die for" comfort food! It actually got a round of applause from my whole family. I substituted Monterey Jack for the Gouda and I used 2% milk and it turned out great. I left out the salt and it was still plenty salty from the prosciutto. This is the perfect meal for a cold rainy day.....loved it!
- 1 lb cavatappi pasta or 1 lb spiral shaped pasta (Barilla) or 1 lb spiral shaped pasta (short)
- 6 ounces prosciutto, cut into thin strips
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups 2% low-fat milk or 4 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional) or 1 pinch Tabasco sauce
- 2 cups gruyere cheese, grated and divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups gouda cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Lightly grease a 13x9" baking dish, and set aside. (Can also use 8 ramekins).
- Cook prosciutto in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 6 minutes or until browned and crisp; set aside.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until smooth mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Whisk in salt, black pepper, and, if desired, red pepper or hot sauce.
- Remove from heat and add 1 cup Guyère, whisking until smooth.
- Add Gouda and Parmesan, and whisk until smooth.
- Add prosciutto and pasta, and stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to prepared dish(or ramekins) top with remaining 1 cup Gruyère.
- Bake at 350ºF for 20 minutes or until bubbly.