Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
with Flat-Tire Corn and Black Bean Toppers; Rachael Ray
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1⁄2 cup steak sauce
- 1 cup beer
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 (28 ounce) cancrushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons melted shortening
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained, patted dry
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 scallions, chopped
- softened butter, for greasing a griddle
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over med-high heat.
- When the oil smokes, add in the sliced poblanos and char them for a couple of minutes, then scoot them off to the side of the pan and add in the meat.
- Break up the meat and brown it for a couple of minutes, then add in the onions and garlic.
- Season the meat with grill seasoning, Worcestershire, chipotles, and adobo sauce.
- Cook 5-6 minutes, until the onions are tender; stir in the steak sauce and beer.
- Cook the beer off for 1 minute; then add in the stock and tomatoes; decrease heat to low.
- Prepare corn pancake batter: in a bowl, combine corn muffin mix, egg, melted shortening, and milk; batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Finely chop the beans in a food processor and stir them into the corn batter.
- Season the batter with cumin; stir in the scallions.
- Heat a nonstick griddle over medium heat; butter the griddle, then pour three 3 to 4 inch corn pancakes.
- Flip the pancakes when the bottoms are deeply golden and cook them for another minute or two on the second side.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 6 cakes.
- Top each bowlful of the chili with a corn and black bean pancake.