Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Everyday with Rachael Ray Mag, March 2009.
- cooking spray
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 onion, half chopped and half thinly sliced
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 2 lbs yellow-fleshed potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 1⁄4 lbs zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Using a blender, puree the cauliflower, chopped onion, milk, 1/2 c parmesan and the flour; season with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons parmesan with the breadcrumbs.
- Spread 1/2 c cauliflower puree in the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the potatoes, then with half of the zucchini. Sprinkle with the half each of the sliced onions and remaning parmesan. Spread half of the remaining cauliflower puree on top. Layer the remaining potatoes, zucchini, sliced onions, parmesan and cauliflower puree. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes, then discard the foil. Sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture on top and bake until golden-brown, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
This recipe did not work out for me. I used a parmesan and gruyere mixture and added a clove of garlic but other than that I didn't change the recipe. I thought I had cut the potatoes thin enough but the potatoes were a little under cooked and the whole things was kinda of watery. Made for ZWT5.
I would have given it a 5 star, but after I did all the work, there was no oven temperature here that I could see. If I was blind, I am sorry. Great recipe though. I used Monteray Jack cheese, and unsweetened almond milk. Also used Carbolose flour instead of flour. and Ezekiel Bread for the crumbs.
I made this for dinner last night. I subbed gruyere for the parmesan because I was trying to use it up, used shim milk and I didn't have enough zucchini. This is great. The kids ate it also and didn't seem to notice that it wasn't our usual cheesy, high fat scalloped potatoes. Thanks for posting NELady!