I love this with mashed potatoes. Its comfort for for me. Its great with all different kinds of cheeses.
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash white pepper, black will speckle sauce, but won't affect the flavor
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon snipped parsley, If desired (to garnish) (optional)
- Rinse and remove leaves from cauliflower. Place whole head in a small amount of boiling salted water. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until just tender. Drain thoroughly. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cook fresh mushrooms in butter until tender. Blend in flower, salt and pepper. Add evaporated milk all at once. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened and bubble. Stir in cheese and mustard. Heat until cheese melts. Place warm cauliflower on platter. Spoon some of sauce over it. Sprinkle with parsley. Pass remaining sauce.
This is very good. I've made cauliflower with cheese sauce before, but the addition of the mushrooms made this very nice! Thanks for sharing!