Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Posted for ZWT IV, Germany. From The New German Cookbook.
- 1 large cauliflower, steamed and broken into small florets
- 1⁄2 lb diced black forest ham
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream (I'm sure lighter cream will work as well)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fine dry breadcrumb (unseasoned)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits
- Preheat oven to 375. Butter a 5 cup gratin dish and set aside.
- For the cauliflower mixture:.
- Take steamed cauliflower florets and arrange in a single layer in the gratin dish.
- Sprinkle the ham evenly over the cauliflower.
- Whisk together the egg yolks, sour cream, heavy cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper and pour evenly over ham and cauliflower.
- For the topping:.
- Toss the crumbs and parmesan well to combine, then scatter evenly over the cauliflower mixture. Dot well with butter.
- Bake uncovered 25-30 minutes, until bubbling and lightly browned.
- Serve at once.
I'd give this recipe more than 5 stars if possible. One of my girlfriends came over for dinner, and we had to restrain ourselves from eating the entire dish in one sitting. I made the recipe as directed, but was a bit concerned that the bread crumbs might be too much, so I used only about half the crumb mixture on top, but will use the full amount next time. My head of cauliflower must have been extra large because I had much more than needed for a single layer in the gratin dish. So I did a single layer as directed, then added half the ham, then topped it with the remaining cauliflower and ham. While I think the recipe is perfect as is, next time I plan to add a cup of lima beans because I think they will compliment the recipe (and I love lima beans!). Thanks so much, we'll be making this recipe often!
I thought this was ok. My 9 year old absolutley loved it!! It doesn't make a lot, so if you have a large family you would need to double this recipe. It was also super easy to make.
delicious and easy to make