Gandalf The White's Note:
Source: "Kitchen Suppers for Family and Friends" by Laura Washburn (c) 2004. Pub: Ryland Peters & Small, NYC & London. Wonderfully simply and tasty recipe. Great way to enjoy cauliflower and different from the usual preparations. May be made vegetarian by leaving out the anchovies. Is kosher (parve) as it is written.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cauliflower heads (about 1.25 lb total)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 celery ribs, plus (long, thin inner stalks preferred) (optional)
- 3 -5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 anchovies packed in oil, coursely chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juice of, freshly squeezed
- sea salt, to taste (for blanching water and seasoning)
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 2 -5 drops Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1Separate the cauliflower into florets.
- 2Bring a large pan of water to a boil and add a generous amount of salt and the bay leaf.
- 3Add the cauliflower for 2-3 minutes to blanch, then drain and set aside.
- 4Chop the celery stalks finely and set aside.
- 5Chop the leaves (if using) separately and set aside.
- 6Heat 3 Tbs of the oil in a large skillet.
- 7Add the celery stalks and sautee for 1 minute.
- 8Add the cauliflower and re-season with salt.
- 9Cook for 2-3 minutes over medium-high heat, without stirring -- you want the cauliflower to brown.
- 10If needed, added more oil (I generally don't), then the anchovies and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- 11Add the garlic, stir well, and cook for another 30 seconds -- you don't want the garlic to burn.
- 12Remove from the heat and add the celery leaves, if you are using them.
- 13Add the lemon juice and re-season with salt and pepper.
- 14Add Tabasco if using, to taste.
- 15May be served hot or at room temperature, either as a vegetarian entree or as a side dish -- Enjoy!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cauliflower With Garlic and Anchovies
Serving Size: 1 (347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 176.9
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 5.1 mg
- Sodium 308.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 7.4 g