Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Make and share this Cauliflower With Caramelized Red Onions recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 2 -3 red onions, thinly sliced (about 1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) heads cauliflower, separated into florets
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- Put butter in a heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring periodically, until the onions are a deep golden color, about 20 minutes (The longer the onion cooks the more frequently it needs to be stirred).
- Add balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Cook until most of the moisture evaporates and onions are deep brown, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, steam (12 to 15 minutes) or microwave (8 to 10 minutes) the cauliflower until tender but still firm.
- Put cauliflower on a platter and top with caramelized onions.
- Sprinkle with pine nuts.
"This was so.... good!" Hubby and I loved it. It's a keeper recipe. I used 2 large red onions for the amount of cauliflower I had. The timing for all was right on. I didn't have pine nuts and used chopped fine walnuts. It was a good alternative. Otherwise, I followed your instructions. Thank you for a "tasty veggie recipe".
We really enjoyed this. I only had one red onion left so used that with two white onions. I love pine nuts so really enjoyed the every-so-often bite of one.
The caramelized onions contrasted nicely in colour, texture, and taste with the cauliflower. However, the pine nuts really didn't add anything. I would a lot more caramelized onions.