Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
A refreshing side dish that can be served either warm, at room temperature or chilled. From the cookbook The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen.
- 1 head cauliflower (2 to 2 1/2 pounds, NO brown spots!)
- 1⁄4 cup capers, drained (reserve 1 tablespoon marinade)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon caper marinade
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar (or tarragon vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic chives, finely chopped (can substitute green scallion tops)
- 1 large garlic clove, finely minced (for milder flavor, substitute elephant garlic)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a small non-reactive bowl combine the dressing ingredients and whisk well.
- Cut the cauliflower into 1" florets. Crush the capers lightly with either a pestle and mortar or back of a spoon.
- In a sauce pan insert a steaming basket, fill the pan with 2" of water. Add the cut up cauliflower. Bring the water to the boil over high heat. Cover pot tightly, reduce the heat to medium and steam for about 5 to 7 minutes or the the vegetables are tender but not mushy.
- NOTE: The cauliflower can also be pan fried in olive oil if so desired.
- Carefully remove the steaming basket and set cauliflower aside.
- In a large salad bowl place the warm cauliflower then add the slightly crushed capers. Stir lightly. Next add the dressing and toss gently to combine.
- Best eaten within 24 hours.
This was a great side dish/salad with dinner. Refreshing and delicious, loved the capers, thanks! Made this for the Rail Riding Rowdies ZWT5.
Yummy way to do caulliflower. The capers really made this spark.
I loved this--especially with the minor changes I made (LOL). I used sherry vinegar, more garlic and basil, no parsley but I did add scallion tops. I also added just the tiniest hit of dried hot pepper flakes. Absolutely delicious! Thanks, CG!