Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious change from bland boiled cauliflower. Nice to serve with grilled meats and basmati rice. A Jeff Smith--Frugal Gourmet recipe.
- 1 head cauliflower, about 1-1/4 pounds
- 2 bunches scallions or 2 small green onions
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄3 cup warm water
- 1⁄4 cup light vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh coriander (optional)
- Separate and cut the cauliflower into 1-inch florets. Set aside.
- Trim the scallions and chop them,including the entire green part. Set aside.
- Measure out the spices and place them,as well as the water, right next to the stove.
- Heat the oil in a wok or sauté pan over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the mustard, cumin, and fennel. Keep a pot lid handy since the seeds may splatter and splutter when added. When the seeds stop sputtering, add the turmeric and immediately add the cauliflower.
- Stir-fry the cauliflower until its evenly coated with spice-infused oil. Add the scallions, salt, and water; mix and cover with a lid. Cook over medium heat and toss a couple times until the cauliflower is soft, about 10 minutes. Uncover, fold in the coriander and continue stir-frying until excess moisture evaporates and the cauliflower looks glazed, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and serve.