Recipe by KatieMurch
A healthy substitute for potato tots! From: http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/cauliflower-tater-tots.html
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 egg whites
- salt & pepper
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean and trim the cauliflower, adding the florets to a microwave safe bowl.
- Add the cream and butter to the bowl.
- Microwave for 5 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower and cheese to a magic bullet or food processor and blend until still chunky - kind of like a cooked oatmeal consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
- Chill for at least half an hour.
- Whip the egg whites to a stiff peak. Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the cauliflower mixture to lighten it up. Then fold the cauliflower mixture into the rest of the egg whites and gently mix until combined.
- For best results, chill for another half hour or they won't hold their shape as well.
- Fit a pastry bag with a round or star tube with about a 3/4 inch opening. Spray the inside of the bag with nonstick spray.
- Gently squeeze out 1 inch sections onto a greased cookie sheet, cutting with a butter knife as you go.
- When finished, bake in a 375 degree oven for 10-12 minutes (or longer if you're skipping the frying) until puffed and slightly browned. Remove from the oven and serve - or heat 1/4 inch of oil in a saute pan and when it's very hot add the tots. It doesn't need long, a minute per side to turn them golden brown and crispy. Serve immediately.