Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this recipe in an old Xmas cookbook some years back and have been making throughout the year. It is almost a meal by itself and most people enjoy the blend of flavors. Also, it can be made ahead which is always a boost.
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 6 slices bacon, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 1⁄2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions (or red)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dill weed (or to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, we prefer old (grated)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Separate cauliflower into florets and cook until just tender; drain.
- Meanwhile cook bacon until crisp.
- Toss crumbs with bacon and measured drippings.
- Arrange tomatoes in a greased shallow baking dish (about 6 cup size).
- Sprinkle with onions, salt, pepper and dillweed.
- Add cauliflower and top with crumb mixture.
- Bake 20 minutes
- Uncover and sprinkle with cheese and bake approximately 10 minutes (or until cheese melts).