Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Cauliflower gets its deserved moment in the spotlight in this Japanese-style snack For a difference instead of boiling or steaming cauliflower florets, toss them in some olive oil, sprinkle with paprika and roast in a hot oven for 30 mins until cooked and crispy.
- 1 small cauliflower, cut into medium-size florets
- 100 g plain flour
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 500 ml vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- Cook the cauliflower in boiling water for 2 minutes
- Tip into a colander, rinse under the cold tap, drain well and set aside.
- Put the flour in a large bowl with a pinch of salt.
- Whisk the egg yolks and 175ml iced water together.
- whisk into the flour with the oil to make a smooth batter.
- In a separate, clean bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff, then fold into the batter.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer or large wok to 190°C
- Coat some of the cauliflower in the batter
- use a slotted spoon to carefully lift into the hot oil.
- Deep-fry the cauliflower for 2-3 mins until golden and puffy.
- Drain on kitchen towel and continue with the rest in batches.
- Sprinkle the cauliflower with salt.
- serve with a bowl of aïoli or mayonnaise.