Raquel Grinnell's Note:
From the October 2006 edition of Bon Appetit Magazine, this submission is from Alfred Portale of Gotham Bar and Grill. Now that imported caviar is no longer available, the domestic stuff is all the rage. Paired with lemon oil (sold at many markets), it's the ultimate garnish. Omit scallops and caviar to make this dish vegetarian.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 3 3/4 cups cauliflower (from 1 large head)
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- kosher salt
- fresh ground white pepper
- 1 leek, cut into 1/8-inch-thick rounds (white and pale green parts only)
- 6 sea scallops, patted dry
- 1 (30 g) jar black caviar, like American white sturgeon (about 1 ounce)
- 6 teaspoons lemon-infused olive oil
- fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Sauté until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- 2Add cauliflower, broth, and cream. Bring soup to boil. Reduce heat to low, partially cover, and simmer gently until cauliflower is tender, about 18 minutes.
- 3Puree soup in small batches in blender until smooth. Return to same saucepan. Season soup with kosher salt and white pepper.
- 4Do ahead: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Cover and chill. Rewarm before serving.
- 5Blanch leek in small saucepan of boiling salted water 1 minute; drain. Place some of leek in center of each bowl.
- 6Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in medium skillet over high heat. Sprinkle scallops with salt and pepper. Sear until brown and just opaque in center, about 1 1/2 minutes per side.
- 7Place 1 scallop on leek in each bowl; top scallop with caviar. Ladle soup around scallop, drizzle with 1 teaspoon lemon oil, and sprinkle with chives.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cauliflower Soup With Seared Scallops, Lemon Oil and Caviar
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 375.5
- Calories from Fat 314
- Total Fat 34.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.6 g
- Cholesterol 114.5 mg
- Sodium 198.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 7.2 g