Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This recipe comes from a F&W email.
Make and share this Cauliflower Soup With Pecans and Rye Croutons recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil
- 2 leeks, white and pale green parts only, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- two 2-pound heads cauliflower, cored and cut into 2-inch florets, 1/2 cup of tiny florets reserved for garnish
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled cored and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 slice crustless rye bread, cut into 1/2-inch dice (1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup pecan pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large, heavy pot, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the leeks and garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the large cauliflower florets and the apple and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the broth and thyme sprigs and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes.
- Spread the diced rye bread, pecan pieces and tiny cauliflower florets on a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and toss to coat. Season generously with salt and pepper and bake, stirring once, for about 10 minutes, or until the rye bread croutons are crisp.
- Discard the thyme sprigs from the soup. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender. Return the soup to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls, scatter the croutons, pecans and cauliflower on top and serve.
- MAKE AHEAD The soup can be refrigerated overnight. Reheat gently before serving. Add more chicken broth to thin the soup to the desired consistency, if needed.