Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Slightly adapted from an Epicurious recipe. Can be made vegan/parve by substituting margarine for the butter and a non dairy creamer for the half and half.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 1⁄2 cups chopped cauliflower (a smallish head, a little larger than a softball)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 limes, juice of
- In a heavy saucepan cook the onion in one tablespoon of the butter over moderate heat, stirring, until it is softened. Add the cauliflower, the broth and the water and simmer the mixture, covered, for 20 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender.
- In a blender or food processor purée the mixture in batches, return it to pan, and stir in the half-and-half, the lime juice, vinegar, remaining butter and salt and pepper to taste. Heat the soup over low heat, stirring, until it is hot, but do not let it boil, ladle it into bowls, and sprinkle it with the cumin powder to taste.