Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
In 'Sunday Soup' by Betty Rosbottom
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts only (4-5 medium leeks)
- 12 cups cauliflower florets (from 2 large heads, about 2 pounds each)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche
- kosher salt
- 4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Melt the butter in a big soup pot, set over med-high heat.
- Add in leeks; saute/stirring, until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in cauliflower florets, chicken stock, and cayenne pepper; bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally; then reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cover pot.
- Cook until vegetables are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup in batches in a food processor, blender, or food mill, and return soup to pot (or use an immersion blender to puree the soup in the pot).
- Whisk in 1/2 cup of the cheese and the creme fraiche; taste the soup and season with salt if needed (the soup can be made 2 days ahead; cool, cover, and refrigerate; reheat over medium heat).
- Cut the prosciutto into julienne strips 3-4 inches long and 1/4 inch wide.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat; when hot, add the prosciutto, saute/stir occasionally, until crisp and browned, for 4-5 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer prosciutto to paper towels to drain.
- To serve--ladle soup into 6 soup bowls; sprinkle each serving with some prosciutto, chopped parsley, and remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan.
Such a nice filling; yet light soup. Made this for lunch today and it was so delicious. I only made a couple of minor changes -- I used some crisp bacon vs. the prosciutto and unfortunately, I didn't have parsley. Otherwise made as directed and enjoyed every bit of it. Will definitely make this soup again.
love it and so do my girls light but still yummy comforting and satisfying.....like soup should be... i do like to use my own stock tho....