Wow. Who knew cauliflower soup could be so exciting. I couldn't stop eating this. This is a definite make-again recipe. I skipped the sour cream and still loved it. If you want to make this a smoother, thicker soup--use an immersion blender to puree and cook an additional 10 minutes after pureeing. Recipe courtesy of The Pioneer Woman Cooks Food From My Frontier.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 onion, finely dice
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 cauliflower head, cored and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 2 quarts low sodium chicken broth or 2 quarts chicken stock
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup sour cream (heaping, at room temperature)
- crusty bread, for serving
- 1Melt 1/2 stick of butter in a heavy pot over medium heat, then add the onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- 2Add the carrot and celery.
- 3Stir and cook for a few more minutes.
- 4Throw in the cauliflower.
- 5Stir it around, cover, and cook over very low heat for 15 minutes.
- 6Add the minced parsley.
- 7Add the chicken broth and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 8In the meantime, make white sauce: Melt the remaining 1/2 stick of butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Then whisk in the flour. Cook for a couple of minutes, then pour in the milk, whisking to combine.
- 9Remove the white sauce from the heat and pour in the half-and-half.
- 10Pour the white sauce mixture into the pot.
- 11Add a teaspoon to 2 of salt and pepper to taste, and allow the soup to simmer for another 20 to 30 minutes.
- 12The soup will thicken slightly but shouldn't be overly thick. Give it a taste and add additional salt or other seasonings as necessary.
- 13To serve the soup, place the room temperature sour cream in the bottom of the soup tureen. Then addd the whole pot of hot soup to the tureen. Stir gently to combine and immediately serve with warm rolls.
Browse Our Top Cauliflower Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cauliflower Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cauliflower Soup (Pioneer Woman)
Serving Size: 1 (319 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 212.0
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 41.8 mg
- Sodium 371.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 7.0 g