Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Popular throughout Scandinavia The danes like to add a shot of sherry!
- 2 cups water
- 1 head cauliflower, 1-1/2 lbs., separated into flowerets
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup milk, your choice, I prefer milk
- nutmeg (optional)
- sherry wine (optional)
- Heat the 2 cups water to boiling, add cauliflower and onion. Cook until soft, approximately 10 minutes. Do not drain. Blend with an immersion blender or in a regular blender until smooth.
- Heat butter in a three quart saucepan until bubbly, add flour, salts and pepper, cook and stir for one minute. Remove from heat, stir in the last cup of water and the bouillon, return to stove, heat to boiling, stirring constantly for one minute. Add cauliflower mixture, heat to just boiling, slowly add 1/2 and 1/2. Heat just until hot.
- Sprinkle each bowl with a touch of nutmeg, optional.
This is a delicious creamy soup which makes a really nice lunch all on it's own or with a sandwich or salad. I did add additional salt, pepper and a dash (or two) of cayenne. Will definitely make again and will always remember "Pammy" when I make it. Made for Pammyowl's Cook-A-Thon, November, 2013.
I really enjoy cauliflower, and this was a very easy soup to put together. I followed the directions exactly, but didn't see where there was another cup of water to add, so I just added the chicken stock and milk. I garnished with nutmeg and enjoyed a delightful lunch. Thanks for sharing! Made for the Pammyowl Cookathon.
We are in cauliflower season right now and what better recipe to try! I didn't add the optional ingredients, but I did add 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese and the last 2 potatoes I had in the bottom of the cupboard (peeled and chopped small). Served with fresh crusty bread. I think almost any left over veggies would be great in this (carrots, celery, sweet potato, broccoli, and even corn). Thanks for posting, this is a winner!