Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious low fat soup.
- 4 cups cauliflower, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Heat oil in pot on medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until soft.
- Add cauliflower and chicken stock. Cook the cauliflower until it is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Using a hand blender, puree cauliflower until it reaches desired consistency.
- Add parmesan, salt, and peper.
Very easy and fairly quick. I found I needed to cover the pot as the cauliflower cooked, since there wasn't enough broth to cover it. The taste is subtle but very good. We had it for a meal with bread, but agreed that it would be a nice first course soup as well, because it's not too heavy or strongly flavoured.
If you eat meat (I don't), bacon crumbles would be an excellent garnish. If you're not concerned about the fat content, a dollop of sour cream would be delicious as well.
Excellent soup! Simple and flavorful. I used 6 cups of cauliflower but kept everything else the same. For the 3 c. of chicken stock I used 1 c. water and 2 c. stock. I also added about 1 T. of butter right at the end. The fresh Parmesan cheese in this is fabulous! Served 3 people for lunch.