1/1 Photo of Cauliflower Snow (Chou-Fleur a La Neige)
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
While spring cleaning I came across an old cookbook, Cordon Bleu Minibooks Vegetable Cooking published in 1971. This recipe was a favourite. I haven't made this recipe in many years so the cooking time is a guess. This can be a side dish for 8 or a vegetarian main dish for 4.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut cauliflower into fleurettes and cook in boiling salted water, stems down, for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 2Saute onion in 2 tbsp of butter until soft, then add tomatoes and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- 3In another pan, add remaining butter.
- 4When butter has melted add the flour and make a roux.
- 5Add milk and stir until thickened, season with salt and pepper.
- 6Add 1 cup of the grated cheese to the milk mixture.
- 7Arrange cauliflower in gratin dish or shallow casserole, spoon the onion and tomato mixture over top.
- 8Add cheese sauce being sure to coat all the veggies.
- 9Beat the egg whites until stiff and arrange on top of cauliflower.
- 10Make four pockets for the egg yolks and drop a yolk into each pocket.
- 11Sprinkle with remaining cheese and broil until crisp and golden brown.
Browse Our Top Cauliflower Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cauliflower Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cauliflower Snow (Chou-Fleur a La Neige)
Serving Size: 1 (484 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 490.0
- Calories from Fat 300
- Total Fat 33.3 g
- Saturated Fat 19.3 g
- Cholesterol 269.5 mg
- Sodium 533.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 24.7 g