While spring cleaning I came across an old cookbook, Cordon Bleu Minibooks Vegetable Cooking published in 1971. This recipe was a favourite. I haven't made this recipe in many years so the cooking time is a guess. This can be a side dish for 8 or a vegetarian main dish for 4.
- Cut cauliflower into fleurettes and cook in boiling salted water, stems down, for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Saute onion in 2 tbsp of butter until soft, then add tomatoes and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- In another pan, add remaining butter.
- When butter has melted add the flour and make a roux.
- Add milk and stir until thickened, season with salt and pepper.
- Add 1 cup of the grated cheese to the milk mixture.
- Arrange cauliflower in gratin dish or shallow casserole, spoon the onion and tomato mixture over top.
- Add cheese sauce being sure to coat all the veggies.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and arrange on top of cauliflower.
- Make four pockets for the egg yolks and drop a yolk into each pocket.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and broil until crisp and golden brown.