Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
The age old question - what to do with cauliflower? This is a fabulous sandwich filling reminicent of egg salad. Delicious with sliced tomatoes or bits of broccoli added, and great stuffed into a pita. Also great on whole wheat toast. Healthy too!
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons soy mayonnaise or 2 tablespoons regular mayonnaise or 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 1 sliced tomatoes
- 1 slice whole wheat bread or 1 slice pita bread
- sliced red onion (for garnish) (optional)
- Wash and chop the cauliflower into small pieces. Steam in vegetable steamer or microwave until tender (about 5-8 minutes for small chunks).
- Drain cauliflower well. Place in bowl and mash with potato masher until crumbly.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Season to taste.
- Spread filling onto whole wheat vegan bread or stuff into pita. Garnish with tomato slices (or any other vegetable you like on sandwiches).
The first day or so this wasn't too bad, although I did need to add horseradish and more mustard, and served with pickle. It's sort of bland. But after just a few days in the fridge the cauliflower taste was just so strong, I couldn't even finish it. I was really hoping I had a good vegetarian sandwich filling, but this didn't work for me.