Recipe by Aroostook
"Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education." Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar" (1894) Mark Twain =) Love this simple salad. A great take along side-dish for picnics and potlucks as it has an oil and vinegar base.
- 2 small cauliflower (1 1/2 to 2 lbs.)
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
- 10 black olives, coarsely chopped
- 10 green olives, sliced pimiento-stuffed
- 3 gherkins, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon basil (optional)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim the cauliflower and separate it into flowerets.
- Cover with boiling water and poach for 5 minutes.
- Plunge immediately into cold water and drain thoroughly.
- Place the cauliflower in a large bowl and add the onion, black and green olives, gherkins.
- Combine the oil and vinegar, add salt and pepper to taste and blend well.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, sprinkle with basil and toss until coated with dressing.
- Chill for several hours, tossing occasionally.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.